Stringer's Companion and Stringer's Companion Lite
Stringer's Companion (SC) and Stringer's Companion Lite (SCL) are unique tools designed to help anyone working in the racquet service field keep track of their business. Both are database applications personalized to the user's business. The tool is stored and runs on the user's computer alleviating the need for Internet access.
Shown below is a screen shot of a "Detailed Racquet Service Info" page.
Shown below is a screen shot of a "Detailed Invoice Info" page.
Developed for stringers … by stringers
Take a look at the features of each tool to determine which one is right for your business:
|Efficient & intuitive data entry||√||√|
|Exports data for use in other applications||√||√|
|Additional user fields to store information that isn't built-in||√||√|
|All stored data is easily accessible, searchable, sortable, & editable||√||√|
|Tracks detailed information about each customer's multiple racquets||√||√|
|Prints 2-part claim checks for each racquet service||√||√|
|Tracks staff contact information||√||√|
|Tracks contact information for industry contacts||√||√|
|Free technical support for USRSA members by phone or email||√||√|
|Imports data from other applications||√||√|
|Prints pre-programmed reports relating to all stored data||√||√|
|Screen tips to help user understand his/her choices||√||√|
|Modifiable for specific business needs (additional fee)||√||√|
|Tracks customer contact information||√||√|
|Tracks detailed racquet service info for each racquet serviced||√||√|
|Prints customized racquet labels for each racquet service (specific printer required)||√||√|
|Tracks information about machines used for racquet service||√||√|
|Built-in easy-to-understand user guide||√||√|
|Free demo version||√||√|
|Prepares & prints customized invoices||√|
|Prints detailed sales reports||√|
|Tracks customer use of demo racquets||√|
|Tracks inventory of all products & services||√|
|Prints customized letters on letterhead, or creates letterhead||√|
|Prints envelopes for letters on letterhead or creates letterhead||√|
|Tracks detailed invoice information||√|
|Tracks detailed demo racquet information||√|
|Tracks detailed information for products and services offered||√|
|Generates customized emails and/or letters with personal information — ideal for generating time-to-restring notices, racquet-ready-for-pickup notices, upcoming specials notifications, etc.||√|
Frequently Asked Questions
- System Requirements
- PC users need Windows XP or newer and 1GB of available HD space; MAC users need OS X or newer and 1GB of available HD space
- Do you need FileMaker to run them?
- No, each program runs without the need for any other software.
- Do they work on both Mac and PC?
- Each is available for a MAC or a PC. But, you can't run the MAC version on a PC or vice versa.
- Are they available as a download or do you have to order a CD?
- Each program is available as a download. You just have to send us the completed order form and we will build your software and send you an email with a link and instructions for downloading. However, if you really prefer to receive the software on a CD, we can mail you one for an additional fee of $15.
- Is the company information supplied when buying the software hard-coded into my version of the software, or can I change it later?
- The Company Name, Address Line 1, Address Line 2, City, State, Zip, and Country are hard coded. Each can be changed later, but it requires you to send us your data file (which can be a little tricky because it can be a pretty large file) and we then re-build the software with the new info. But, all the other company info can easily be changed by the user at any time.
- Can it print postcards?
- Yes, you would just have to set the dimensions of the post card and have a printer that can handle postcards.
- Can it transfer data from Microsoft Excel or Access?
- Yes, in fact the user guide includes detailed instructions. But, you could also call us if you have any questions while trying to do it.
- Is there a limit to the number of customers or invoices or racquet services, etc.?
- There are no practical limits. I suppose if you had millions of records, your computer might run out of memory. But, it should be able to handle anything you can throw at it.
- Can I use the software on multiple computers?
- Yes and no. Stringer's Companion and Stringer's Companion Lite are what are called runtime applications created using FileMaker Pro. Runtime Applications can not be networked. This means that you can't load the software on multiple computers and share/sync the data among multiple computers. So, if you just want to buy Stringer's Companion or Stringer's Companion Lite, you can only run them on one machine at a time. You can move the software from one machine to another (PC to PC or Mac to Mac), but the data on one computer will not be available from another computer. However, if it is important that you be able to network your data between multiple machines, you can buy FileMaker Pro for each machine you want to network. You can visit FileMaker.com for more information and pricing. If you decide to do this, we can create a FileMaker Pro file of the software instead of the runtime application. This will allow you to keep the file on one computer and connect to the file and data from any other networked computer with FileMaker Pro. In fact, if you also buy FileMaker Go, you may be able to access the file and data from an iPhone or iPad. This option is considerably more expensive than just buying the runtime application, but it does allow you to network your data and you also can use FileMaker Pro for other uses in your business.
- How can I go through the list and remove duplicate racquets and correct spelling?
- If you want to delete a duplicate frame, you could just do a find for that frame. You should find two or more of the racquet. Then, delete the extra one. Be careful not to erase the one with service records attached to it. If they both have service records, then just pick the one with fewer service records and re-enter the service records in the other record. Then, you can delete the service records and the racquet.
- To correct spelling, just find the record with the misspelling and correct the spelling in the fields.
- How can I see if it will work for me before I buy it?
- Try any or all of our four free demos!
- Can I find a customer or vendor based on his phone number?
- It is possible to do a find for someone based on their phone number. However, it can be tricky. This is because you have to know how you entered the phone number and enter it the same way when you search. For example, if you entered it with spaces or dashes between groups of numbers, you have to do the same when you do your find. This is extra tricky because when you look at the phone number on the screen, it isn't necessarily formatted the way you entered it. The program converts the appearance all phone numbers to look the same. But, the data behind the scenes remains unchanged. So, to look someone up by their phone number, I recommend clicking on find, then going to the field you want to search, then type in the area code and phone number. But, you may have to modify your find if you don't get any results the first try. If you try looking with spaces the first time, try it with dashes the second try. Hope this helps a little. I know it isn't ideal. But, we never really considered that users might try to look someone up by their phone number.
- Is there an easy way to find all the racquets that are due for restringing so I can send out a reminder email, postcard or letter?
- To find racquets that were last strung within a certain period of time, just do a find based on the last serviced field on the Detailed Racquet Info layout. For example, if you wanted to find all the racquets that were last serviced during May 2011, just go to the Detailed Racquet Info layout and click on find. Then go to the last serviced field and enter 5/1/2011…5/31/2011. Then click on the big blue find button on the left and your found set should be made up of racquets that were last serviced in May, 2011.